Joker is a compelling origin story of a man’s painful journey to self destruction.
Joker, an American psychological thriller, is a possible origin story for the popular villain character of the DC Comics, Batman. It is directed and produced by Todd Phillips known for Hangover Trilogy, Starsky and Hutch, etc.
Arthur Fleck or the Joker is a poor, mentally ill stand-up comedian, disregarded and mocked by society. He is devoted to his mother who encourages him to see himself as joyous light in the world by bringing laughter to the people. But people’s callous treatment leads him into insanity and turns him violent against the wealthy in the decaying Gotham City. Joaquin Phoenix does a striking justice to the dark complex character with mental illness.
The film received appreciation and equally opposite criticism. Cinematography, costume, and narrative were highly appreciated. Critics raised questions that Joker was full of dangerous ideas that will spur its worst fans to murder, that justified and empathized dark violence.
Seventh highest grossing film of 2019, Joker is the first live action Batman film to receive an R-rating from the Motion Picture Association of America, due to its violent and disturbing content.
Joker is nominated for eleven categories in Academy Awards 2020:
- Best Motion Picture: Todd Phillips, Bradley Cooper, and Emma Tillinger Koskoff
- Best Director: Todd Phillips
- Best Cinematography: Lawrence Sher
- Best Adapted Screenplay: Todd Phillips and Scott Silver based on characters created by Bill Finger, Bob Kane, and Jerry Robinson
- Best Actor in A Leading Role: Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck / Joker
- Best Film Editing: Jeff Groth
- Best Sound Editing: Alan Robert Murray
- Best Sound Mixing: Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic and Tod Maitland
- Best Original Score: Hildur Guðnadóttir
- Best Costume Design: Mark Bridges
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling Nicki Ledermann and Kay Georgiou